Monday, August 9, 2010

Hair! and the Black woman...

Me & my short hair.
Me.
This one a very sensitive issue to touch on as most black women these days me inclusive!!! rarely leave our natural hair alone to breathe... Well it is safe to say that very few black women are proud of their God given hair! I refuse to hold anyone, a certain race of people or some other flimsy excuse(s) a reason for this except in the case of a terminal illness such as cancer etc... Then again with all due respect to women who wear weaves, extentions and so on I have nothing against you lot in this piece. Inspite of myself, few months ago I decided it was time to have a hair cut not that it was a necessity nor was it a stepping stone to anything in particular as I have always been at ease shaving my head at will, but I must say this time around I felt some sense of liberation of me. It seemed to me that everyone around me was drowning in the clear cut syndrome of looking a certain way with a certain hair type and hair length there by loosing their identities, although this is not to say a woman, black or white, is not allowed to wear a certain look of choice. Still you find that people can get carried away and over do things and make things that shouldn't be or matter a stereotype and make it the right way of approach of doing things.
Naturally most black women have mid to shoulder length black/brown hair after it has been relaxed while some have exceptionally long hair. So am wondering for what reason(s) do we really wear these weaves? Am sure the reason(s) would certainly be endless!!! All am trying to say here is we really don't have any other person to impress when it comes to our looks other than ourselves so we can try to sometimes give ourselves a breather on how much we spend on extentions, stylists, the emotional stress invloved with the who and the why we are doing it and many more... At the moment am loving my short do so are many other women out there am sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment